Roof ventilation: installation, importance and costs

roof instalation
roof instalation

Before learning more about the cost of roof ventilation, let’s look at its importance. When a roof is built without air intakes and exhaust air, the heat from the sun can cause an accumulation of warm air in the attic. This heat could radiate to other areas of a house, which could cause unbearable indoor conditions during the summer. At a typical temperature of 90 ° F, the temperature could reach 140 ° F in case of bad air flow. In addition to heat, the presence of moisture in the attic could cause serious problems in the future if proper ventilation is not installed.

Shingles and terraces can suffer and deteriorate prematurely. Radiant heat could also mean that air conditioners and other refrigeration units have to work harder to keep the temperature low, which would increase the electricity bill.

Discover how ventilation grilles work

There are advantages to having a fully functional ventilation system for the whole year. Roof vents work by allowing air to flow freely from one point of the roof to the other. This ensures that moisture and heat are not removed from the ceiling, keeping the house cool. These systems generally have several components placed systematically for optimal function. This movement of air can be achieved in two different ways: mechanical and natural. The movement of natural air depends on the effect of the chimney or the wind. Meanwhile, mechanical ventilation systems use electric motors.

The mechanical systems are the most efficient. A motorized system can efficiently transfer hot air and cold air. However, there are some compromises for this type of ventilation solution. First, some fans require more than 100W of electricity to operate. This could increase your electricity bill significantly. The installation is also more complicated and, in most cases, may require professional help. There are also solar-powered fans that allow operation outside the network, but they are cheap.

How much ceiling ventilation do I need?

Having enough air in your attic permanently, keeps electricity bills low during the summer. Expelling hot air not only keeps the whole house cool, it also protects the roof structure from moisture damage. However, most owners do not know how much air they need in their home. The best thing is to know how much you really need. This is to make sure you have enough air to keep the temperature in your attic relatively tolerable.

It is relatively easy to know how much ventilation you need for your attic. In general, you would need a ventilation area (about 1 square foot) for every 150 square feet. Assuming your attic has approximately 450 square feet of space, you need to install at least 3 vents in the ceiling.

The recommended amount for ventilation is 60% and 40%. 60% of the vents would be located in the soffit area and, as mentioned in the previous example, there should be two soffit vents installed. The other 40% is for crest ventilation. The type of ventilation may depend on the climate and your preferences. If it is not yet decided, you should consult a professional to get a second opinion.

Leave a Reply